86% [86%] 

Total Votes: 7
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Cloud computing

Post  relict on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:26 pm

Computer hopes lie in the clouds

"The promise of the cloud is to do away with the need of organizations and individuals to maintain their own computer hardware, software, storage and network gear. The cloud metaphor is used to disguise the complexity of bringing all these pieces together. It's the difference between owning and repairing a car yourself or leasing one with a mechanic to keep it running."
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Re: Cloud computing

Post  master5o1 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Cloud Computing has some benefit, but I don't want a 100% Cloud Orientated Computer.

I don't want my data controlled by someone else.
    dabiarch
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  dabiarch on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:38 am

wow i am doing an assignment on the pro's and con's of cloud computing........it is due next thursday Very Happy
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:42 am

dabiarch wrote:wow i am doing an assignment on the pro's and con's of cloud computing........it is due next thursday Very Happy

Sorry there is no help for you here - but at least you've remind me to go do the poll myself.
    dabiarch
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  dabiarch on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:51 am

relict wrote:
    dabiarch wrote:wow i am doing an assignment on the pro's and con's of cloud computing........it is due next thursday Very Happy

Sorry there is no help for you here - but at least you've remind me to go do the poll myself.

No probs about the help........i am just working on formatting now......content is done......lol
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:35 pm

dabiarch wrote:
    relict wrote:

No probs about the help........i am just working on formatting now......content is done......lol

So show us your point of view now that you've (assumption) researched and came up with a decent conclusion. Very Happy

I have already stated my main personal objection to cloud computing above. The other part is that currently bandwidth prices are too high, as is the current transfer speeds. Making it impractical and unaffordable to most people.
    dabiarch
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  dabiarch on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:55 pm

i agree with that............but my main problem is with security issues.........while i applaud the technology for the ability to recycle older comps (not neeeding all the storage space we need now) i really have to say that any company that saves their data to a web server is either very brave or very stupid
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 pm

dabiarch wrote:i agree with that............but my main problem is with security issues.........while i applaud the technology for the ability to recycle older comps (not neeeding all the storage space we need now) i really have to say that any company that saves their data to a web server is either very brave or very stupid

Exactly my point when I say I don't want my data controlled by another entity. If I don't want my (seemingly) useless personal junk controlled by another entity, why would a company want their information stored with another entity? It could essentially break Trade Secrets into nothingness.

Also, the idea of recycling old computers is [somewhat] stupid -- Sure, a lot of them are good and usefull, but considering that we are getting smaller and smaller [physical] sized machines, the newer machines save more space while not compromising on specs too much.

Although it's really only user desktops/pc that need to have some appeal to them, servers don't need too much of an desirable appearance -- but the smaller the server machines, the smaller your server room can be and considering that cloud computing is server-dependant, servers are usually stable and fast on systems that are 5 years old anyway, so recycling not strong for a push Razz

ramble ramble ramble blah blah blah

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:01 am