Tartarus

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate


    What is manliness?

    Share
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    What is manliness?

    Post  relict on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:07 pm

    Copy and paste the bold list below, adding to each line your opinion (ie, how you think things should be) on the best fit of one of these four options:

    1. Nothing to do with manliness.
    2. A little bit to do with manliness.
    3. Not very manly without this.
    4. Not at all manly without this


    Never admitting vulnerability
    Never being vulnerable
    High ranking profession
    Never crying
    A love of sports such as rugby or fighting or fishing
    Being able to attract large numbers of young, good-looking women
    Bravery
    Courage
    Ability to earn lots of money
    Having a large penis
    Having a penis (ie, being without Mrs Bobbit, accident or birth abnormality)
    Having a ‘Y’ chromosome
    Virility
    Being a very skilled driver
    The absence of fat behind the nipple area
    Having large, defined muscles
    Willingness to put self aside for the benefit of others
    An ability to fix broken stuff
    High libido
    Preference for action movies
    Preference for violent video games
    Honesty


    This thread is about males. It is not intended to deny that the ways of being can also be as valid for females. If you think someone is 'more of man' for being honest (for example), this is not to be taken as implying that honesty is not a good quality for females too.

    Edited for typo, and clarity - in blue.


    Last edited by relict on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:04 am; edited 3 times in total
    avatar
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: What is manliness?

    Post  master5o1 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:53 pm

    What is maculinity?
    avatar
    Linno
    Mortal
    Mortal

    Re: What is manliness?

    Post  Linno on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:41 am

    I didn't like the terms masculinity and "being much of a man" being used interchangeably. So I based my answers on my own stereotypes of 'masculinity'. Because to me someone can still be "much of a man" without being overly masculine, even a female can display masculinity so things like a penis isn't always requirement for masculinity.
    That said,

    Never admitting vulnerability - 1
    Never being vulnerable - 2
    High ranking profession - 1
    Never crying - 2
    A love of sports such as rugby or fighting or fishing - 3
    Being able to attract large numbers of young, good-looking women - 3
    Bravery - 3
    Courage - 3
    Ability to earn lots of money - 1
    Having a large penis - 2
    Having a penis - 2
    Having a ‘Y’ chromosome - 2
    Virility - 2
    Being a very skilled driver - 1
    The absence of fat behind the nipple area - 2
    Having large, defined muscles - 3
    Willingness to put self aside for the benefit of others - 1
    An ability to fix broken stuff - 2
    High libido - 2
    Preference for action movies - 1
    Preference for violent video games - 1
    Honesty - 1
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: What is manliness?

    Post  relict on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:35 am

    Linno wrote:I didn't like the terms masculinity and "being much of a man" being used interchangeably.

    Fair point. Edited in blue.

    Linno wrote:to me someone can still be "much of a man" without being overly masculine, even a female can display masculinity

    Agreed.
    avatar
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: What is manliness?

    Post  master5o1 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:59 am

    Maybe you should just change it to What Is Manliness.
    avatar
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: What is manliness?

    Post  superarmy on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:40 am

    For /a/ manliness is an important thing. What makes a character manly is a reckless regard for his own life in the face of danger to save others, unyielding support for those dear to him.


    That was his calling card, trademark manliness.

    My current avatar is Big Boss, another character (/v/ related) to be considered extremely manly. It's worth noting that many concede his mentor The Boss (a women) to be manlier and to be superior to all other men in terms of chivalry, patriotism and honor.

    Note: Video contains large Metal Gear Solid 3 spoilers


    In many eyes (including mine) that was one of the greatest scenes in all of gaming. But I digress, the point is many concede that the traditional manliness qualities are seen in The Boss, as the epitome of manliness.
    avatar
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: What is manliness?

    Post  superarmy on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:50 am

    relict wrote:Copy and paste the bold list below, adding to each line your opinion (ie, how you think things should be) on the best fit of one of these four options:

    1. Nothing to do with manliness.
    2. A little bit to do with manliness.
    3. Not very manly without this.
    4. Not at all manly without this


    Never admitting vulnerability
    Never being vulnerable
    High ranking profession
    Never crying
    A love of sports such as rugby or fighting or fishing
    Being able to attract large numbers of young, good-looking women
    Bravery
    Courage
    Ability to earn lots of money
    Having a large penis
    Having a penis (ie, being without Mrs Bobbit, accident or birth abnormality)
    Having a ‘Y’ chromosome
    Virility
    Being a very skilled driver
    The absence of fat behind the nipple area
    Having large, defined muscles
    Willingness to put self aside for the benefit of others
    An ability to fix broken stuff
    High libido
    Preference for action movies
    Preference for violent video games
    Honesty


    This thread is about males. It is not intended to deny that the ways of being can also be as valid for females. If you think someone is 'more of man' for being honest (for example), this is not to be taken as implying that honesty is not a good quality for females too.

    Edited for typo, and clarity - in blue.

    Never admitting vulnerability 4
    Never being vulnerable 3
    High ranking profession 4
    Never crying 1
    A love of sports such as rugby or fighting or fishing 1
    Being able to attract large numbers of young, good-looking women 1
    Bravery 9000
    Courage 9000
    Ability to earn lots of money 1
    Having a large penis 1
    Having a penis (ie, being without Mrs Bobbit, accident or birth abnormality) 1
    Having a ‘Y’ chromosome 1
    Virility 1
    Being a very skilled driver 1
    The absence of fat behind the nipple area 1
    Having large, defined muscles 1
    Willingness to put self aside for the benefit of others 4
    An ability to fix broken stuff 1
    High libido 1
    Preference for action movies 1
    Preference for violent video games 1
    Honesty 4
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: What is manliness?

    Post  relict on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:55 am

    superarmy wrote:Bravery 9000
    Courage 9000
    Surprised
    avatar
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: What is manliness?

    Post  master5o1 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:00 pm

    superarmy wrote:Bravery 9000
    Courage 9000

    Shouldn't that be over9000
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Better do it myself, I suppose

    Post  relict on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:02 pm

    Never admitting vulnerability 1
    Never being vulnerable 1
    High ranking profession 1
    Never crying 1
    A love of sports such as rugby or fighting or fishing 1
    Being able to attract large numbers of young, good-looking women 1
    Bravery 3
    Courage 3
    Ability to earn lots of money 1
    Having a large penis 1
    Having a penis (ie, being without Mrs Bobbit, accident or birth abnormality) 2 (coz we are short on 2s)
    Having a ‘Y’ chromosome 2
    Virility 1
    Being a very skilled driver 1
    The absence of fat behind the nipple area 1
    Having large, defined muscles 1
    Willingness to put self aside for the benefit of others 4
    An ability to fix broken stuff 2
    High libido 1
    Preference for action movies 1
    Preference for violent video games 1
    Honesty 3
    avatar
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: What is manliness?

    Post  Psalter on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 pm

    Never admitting vulnerability - 2
    Never being vulnerable -1
    High ranking profession -1
    Never crying - 2
    A love of sports such as rugby or fighting or fishing -1
    Being able to attract large numbers of young, good-looking women -2
    Bravery - 4
    Courage -4
    Ability to earn lots of money -1
    Having a large penis -1
    Having a penis (ie, being without Mrs Bobbit, accident or birth abnormality) - 4
    Having a ‘Y’ chromosome -4
    Virility -2
    Being a very skilled driver -3
    The absence of fat behind the nipple area - 3
    Having large, defined muscles -2
    Willingness to put self aside for the benefit of others -4
    An ability to fix broken stuff -3
    High libido -2
    Preference for action movies -2
    Preference for violent video games -2
    Honesty -3

    Sponsored content

    Re: What is manliness?

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:39 am