Tartarus

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate


    Identities

    Share
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Identities

    Post  relict on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:54 am

    I personally don't get why some find it so important to know or guess who people are (or at least match them up with other aliases).

    If people deliberately try to have multies that behave differently from each other, well, good luck to them - I couldn't be bothered with the effort.

    If people want a new start in a new place, well, fair enough, I no problem with that, and can respect that desire. Who does it hurt? If they are 'evil', their true colours will show up eventually.

    All I really care about is whether a post is interesting or constructive or informative or funny or a combination of those things or not. Sometimes, patterns emerge and I can make predictions about how interesting/constructive/informative/funny a post might be given the username, but even then, people can make posts outside of that general pattern.

    Sometimes I almost feel like writing someone off because their posts are particularly dumb, and then in another topic, they shine!

    c'est la vie
    avatar
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  Psalter on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:58 am

    relict wrote:I personally don't get why some find it so important to know or guess who people are (or at least match them up with other aliases).

    If people deliberately try to have multies that behave differently from each other, well, good luck to them - I couldn't be bothered with the effort.

    If people want a new start in a new place, well, fair enough, I no problem with that, and can respect that desire. Who does it hurt? If they are 'evil', their true colours will show up eventually.

    All I really care about is whether a post is interesting or constructive or informative or funny or a combination of those things or not. Sometimes, patterns emerge and I can make predictions about how interesting/constructive/informative/funny a post might be given the username, but even then, people can make posts outside of that general pattern.

    Sometimes I almost feel like writing someone off because their posts are particularly dumb, and then in another topic, they shine!

    c'est la vie

    Cool story bro. Very Happy

    But seriously, a little yes, a little no. I would like to know who is who around these parts... it's not thatimportant though.

    The reason? I have a pretty damn good memory, it helps to have a history of people's claims so that I might contradict the person with their own words at a later date.
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  relict on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:07 pm

    Psalter wrote:I would like to know who is who around these parts... it's not that important though.

    The reason? I have a pretty damn good memory, it helps to have a history of people's claims so that I might contradict the person with their own words at a later date.

    See, there's a difference between you and me. Your memory is probably better (or more practiced, or you are using more effort to remember). So I don't even try to remember, and then it is only the consistent patterns that jump out at me. I'm slow to develop opinions about people, but possibly slow to change them too. I don't get a buzz out of proving someone wrong, or using their own words to contradict them, but I can still be amused watching others do it. So thank you for doing all the work! Laughing
    avatar
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  Psalter on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:13 pm

    No problem... it's no effort for me.

    My memory pisses people off and I sometimes feel guilty for having it... kind of how you feel guilty eating an icecream when a world vision ad comes on... well that's what I imagine people feel... I am amused.
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  relict on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:18 pm

    Psalter wrote:My memory pisses people off

    Surely only if they don't have personal coherence, integrity, and intelligence, or are not willing to own their faults, or take responsibility for their errors.

    Psalter wrote:My memory ... I sometimes feel guilty for having it

    Don't.
    avatar
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  Psalter on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:22 pm

    relict wrote:
    Psalter wrote:My memory pisses people off

    Surely only if they don't have personal coherence, integrity, and intelligence, or are not willing to own their faults, or take responsibility for their errors.

    Psalter wrote:My memory ... I sometimes feel guilty for having it

    Don't.

    No, just because it means things come easy to me... I don't study, I don't highlight, I don't buy textbooks... I just read, listen, and remember. They have to work hard for what comes to me naturally... it only pisses them off when they see me getting A's and the extent of my study is clocking my latest PSP game in the Cafe while they study. That's also why I fel guilty, Kiwi tall poppy syndrome.
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  relict on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:26 pm

    Psalter wrote:No, just because it means things come easy to me... I don't study, I don't highlight, I don't buy textbooks... I just read, listen, and remember. They have to work hard for what comes to me naturally... it only pisses them off when they see me getting A's and the extent of my study is clocking my latest PSP game in the Cafe while they study. That's also why I fel guilty, Kiwi tall poppy syndrome.

    Oh sorry, my bad. I assumed you were referring to the forum context, rather than the academic one.

    Still don't feel guilty. You didn't buy your memory. You didn't even chose it.

    For those that have to work harder to get the same grades, is it really such a big sacrifice in life to play a little less PSP?
    avatar
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  Psalter on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:30 pm

    For those that have to work harder to get the same grades, is it really such a big sacrifice in life to play a little less PSP?

    A thousand times; YES!
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  relict on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:36 pm

    Psalter wrote:
    For those that have to work harder to get the same grades, is it really such a big sacrifice in life to play a little less PSP?

    A thousand times; YES!

    Subjective!

    You wouldn't know! Razz It's the others who play less than you. Personally, I've never regretted having to work hard for my A's. It hasn't done me any harm. And sometimes the extra work I do pays off. For example, physics: I was crap at it, because I couldn't remember all the formulae and how and when to use them, so I read 'Conceptual Physics' (the book about physics, for dummies) and fell in love with the subject. There were conceptual questions in the exam, and I did better at them than the others who had better memories.
    avatar
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  Psalter on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:42 pm

    relict wrote:
    Psalter wrote:
    For those that have to work harder to get the same grades, is it really such a big sacrifice in life to play a little less PSP?

    A thousand times; YES!

    Subjective!

    You wouldn't know! Razz It's the others who play less than you. Personally, I've never regretted having to work hard for my A's. It hasn't done me any harm. And sometimes the extra work I do pays off. For example, physics: I was crap at it, because I couldn't remember all the formulae and how and when to use them, so I read 'Conceptual Physics' (the book about physics, for dummies) and fell in love with the subject. There were conceptual questions in the exam, and I did better at them than the others who had better memories.

    Ah, the old catch 22... yes, those things that I can't read, or are too hard to start with (chemical equations and the like... applied science) I just ignore.... I am very prone to giving up because I am used to things being easy.
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  relict on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:50 pm

    Psalter wrote:I am used to things being easy.

    Awareness is the first step to victory! Razz
    avatar
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  Psalter on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:51 pm

    relict wrote:
    Psalter wrote:I am used to things being easy.

    Awareness is the first step to victory! Razz

    Or acceptance.
    avatar
    Waireka
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  Waireka on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:51 pm

    Back to identities... I'd like to not care about who is who here, but then I agree with Psalter too.
    avatar
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  relict on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:03 pm

    Psalter wrote:
    relict wrote:Awareness is the first step to victory! Razz

    Or acceptance.

    True.

    Waireka wrote:I'd like to not care about who is who here, but then I agree with Psalter too.

    relict wrote:All I really care about is whether a post is interesting or constructive or informative or funny or a combination of those things or not.

    Okay ... that doesn't mean I won't be reading about the identity dramas. I don't feel the need to know, and believe it will all come out in the wash, but if you are going to spell it out, I'll listen. Hehe. Does that make me a hypocrite?
    avatar
    Linno
    Mortal
    Mortal

    Re: Identities

    Post  Linno on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:35 pm

    relict wrote:

    All I really care about is whether a post is interesting or constructive or informative or funny or a combination of those things or not.

    Ditto.
    I could care less about who people are. I've seen so many random usernames here, and a few I recognise, and I don't give a shit who is behind all of them.
    If someone posts something cool or insightful, then great...a good debate. And if they post rubbish, then great...a good slaying. End of story. All the stupid drama about who people are and what their agenda is, is so tedious.
    avatar
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  Tikva on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 pm

    That's the ridiculous part I don't get ~ they're Forums! Why have any kind of 'agenda'?????
    avatar
    canterella
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Identities

    Post  canterella on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:10 am

    Tikva wrote:That's the ridiculous part I don't get ~ they're Forums! Why have any kind of 'agenda'?????

    well said!
    avatar
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  Psalter on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:13 am

    Goddammit, everyone stop being so agreeable!
    avatar
    canterella
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Identities

    Post  canterella on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:16 am

    oh fuck off Psalter you monobrowed person!
    avatar
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  Psalter on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:19 am

    Good try, but it was lacking heart... and I have recently shaved my monobrow you fucking tart!
    avatar
    canterella
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Identities

    Post  canterella on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:24 am

    OK I've ran out of insults already - you win Twisted Evil


    Last edited by canterella on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fucken grammar)
    avatar
    Donkeycheese
    Mortal
    Mortal

    Re: Identities

    Post  Donkeycheese on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:45 am

    Tikva wrote:That's the ridiculous part I don't get ~ they're Forums! Why have any kind of 'agenda'?????

    just because it is a forum, doesn't change the fact that when people read "donkeycheese", they feel "donkey love"
    avatar
    Anjewel
    Giant
    Giant

    Re: Identities

    Post  Anjewel on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:22 am

    Donkeycheese wrote:
    Tikva wrote:That's the ridiculous part I don't get ~ they're Forums! Why have any kind of 'agenda'?????

    just because it is a forum, doesn't change the fact that when people read "donkeycheese", they feel "donkey love"

    More like feel "out of it"... afro
    avatar
    Donkeycheese
    Mortal
    Mortal

    Re: Identities

    Post  Donkeycheese on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:34 am

    Anjewel wrote:
    Donkeycheese wrote:
    Tikva wrote:That's the ridiculous part I don't get ~ they're Forums! Why have any kind of 'agenda'?????

    just because it is a forum, doesn't change the fact that when people read "donkeycheese", they feel "donkey love"

    More like feel "out of it"... afro

    ha ha

    not wrong either

    man, I got some nice shit at the moment.....
    avatar
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

    Re: Identities

    Post  master5o1 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:38 am

    I would do anything for love
    Anything you've been dreaming of
    But I just won't do that

    Sponsored content

    Re: Identities

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:42 am